What Motivates Fashionistas?

(Sole Collector/Zac Dubasik)

Jeans are out, Joggers are in.

Kyle Parker, Writer

Individual fashion finds inspiration, at times, through the music we listen to. Granted there are a lot of factors that ultimately impact our daily clothing choices, but I like to think that the music we listen to encourages us to find our inner fashionista.

I find interesting that if you listen to a certain artist and then look for their article of clothing – you can’t find it. It is not easy to buy their items and so it may be better to mimic their style instead. Until stores begin to respect the styles of artists, we may have to scrounge for our items of inspiration.

Around school, there are students who view clothing as more than the clothes on their body but as a statement of art. We respect these people and their artistic side and voice. I spoke to one such person and discussed fashion trends and style, Desi Norman, a sophomore at Capital High School.

Norman had some insights about current trends. She explained “that the lazy style was the latest trend” like “joggers, Vans and t-shirts.” I followed up with a question about the cost of following this style, for her, and she said, “On a regular day from me at the mall, [I spend] anywhere from $20 to $100.”

We moved on in our conversation to this idea that musicians inspire fashion trends. “I have considered that,” Norman said about if music inspires fashion, “I just noticed everybody wearing these things and that I liked what I was seeing. Then I saw some of the videos of artists I listen to, and noticed they were wearing these things also.”

I find this idea of artists inspiring fashion to legitimize what fashion is supposed to be: a reflection of art. So often, corporations push items regular people may not ever want to wear and by watching artists wear what inspires them is encouraging.