Interesting Senior: Dylan Mendoza

Case

Dylan Mendoza making a bobo face on turf.

Casey Martin, Author

High School for everyone throughout the United States has a profound effect on the shaping of people and gives them chances to make an impact on their lives. In the end, only some people get recognized for their actions and the struggles they had to go through to get to where they are today. This is why today I am bringing you the story of Dylan Mendoza, a senior at Capital High School 2023 what his school experience was like, who he is, and the struggles he has to take to be a successful student heading to college. 

Dylan Mendoza is an Asian American student graduating this year and attending The University of Washington Bothell studying computer science and software engineering. Some of Dylan’s hobbies are going to Gym, watching anime, and studying calculus at school which is his favorite subject. Dylan is also a running start student giving him a different high school experience than a normal student by taking some college classes early for high school and college credit. But like I am sure every high schooler in our graduating class he has had challenges getting to where he is now whether it is the Pandemic, Racism, or social struggles. This is why I interviewed and am talking about Dylan to share with you his high school experience and what shaped him to be where he is now.

One of Dylan’s biggest struggles throughout high school was the pandemic. The pandemic for Dylan had a major effect on his work ethic by having access to his phone and caused him to struggle in school. “Now I struggle with completing an assignment as I find myself getting distracted and ending up on my phone.” Even now with the pandemic over he still finds himself struggling with tasks and getting distracted. “Every now and again I find myself on my phone and my assignment incomplete.” The pandemic also had an impact on his social life, having to stick to his main group of friends and not getting the true high school experience of making new friends. “Maybe if the pandemic never happened I would maybe have had a couple more friends but because of it, it definitely affected me socially.” I can definitely share this same experience as Dylan as I was forced into my small friend group and am now only making new friends senior year. 

Another struggle that Dylan had to overcome was racism. Although he personally hasn’t experienced it personally he has seen it in front of him and with his friends and family. “Every time I’ve been told these experiences I feel more afraid it’s going to happen to me next.” Racism is a massive issue and Dylan isn’t alone in his feelings about it. It is our duty as human beings to help combat these comments and acts to help everyone feel safe in our world. 

But hardship isn’t the only thing that Dylan got out of high school he also got to have good experiences like making new friends in senior year, learning more about himself, and enjoying being at school and progressing his knowledge. Dylan got to be a part of the Running Start Program where he takes college classes for college and high school credit. This allows him to save more money as he continues his education. 

Overall Dylan Mendoza is a great showcase of what it was really like for high schoolers of our generation in the class of 2023. His hard work and struggles through these 4 years show what a strong and resilient young man he will become. Although in things like the yearbook or other school rewards, he won’t be appreciated overall his contributions touch the ones that matter to him and they know that he is one of our fellow interesting seniors