Senior Spotlight: Kye Doyle

Jerel LaLone, Writer

I had to wait until after he had finished work in order to interview him. Like usual, he had a very annoying day as it is Prom season and we are unfortunately the last school to come in for Prom season at Men’s Wearhouse, so he was about done with highschoolers for the day. After which, he and I sat down for a bit and had an early dinner together before we got to talking. Kye doesn’t go to this school anymore, so it was fun reminiscing with him about when he did and about the good times we both had with one another throughout our highschool experiences, despite how different both of them were. This is a story of a man who, despite constantly being picked on for being jobless, or a highschool dropout by people, has defied the odds and has attempted to turn himself around and make a better name and future for himself. This is the story of Kye Doyle, one of the most honest and kindest people I have met

Kye has grown up in Washington and has lived here for all of his life, specifically around the Olympia-Tumwater area of the state. He went to Hansen Elementary, and then Marshall Middle School, where he met one of his former best friends, Drew Ronning. Up until May of his Senior Year, Kye was attending Capital High School, and was on a very rough but straight road to graduation. Despite this, he decided that it was best for him to drop out and continue to work at Men’s Wearhouse full-time, before later planning to get his GED. Most people definitely do not know this man, or have only seen him briefly in school,  but many people would know him if they were to walk into Men’s Wearhouse and get fitted for a suit, as he claims to see plenty of kids from CHS in there a lot, especially during prom season, homecoming, or other semi-formal dances held throughout the year. He chose this job because he wanted to style and present himself better with the clothing that they sell, and also wanted to have something to do besides hang out with his group of friends both in and out of school. 

He’s worked there for nearly a year and talks about how much he enjoys most of his coworkers, and overall enjoys his job & what he does to get people in the suit that fits and looks the best for them personally. He loves to get to know the people who come in on a semi-personal level, which is crucial in order to get the type of vibe they want with an outfit or to give them a different idea than what they came in originally wanting for a suit.

During our interview, I began to ask Kye of his personal hobbies. He was a very straightforward person with his responses to these, which was actually very appreciated in most cases. 

His main hobby is playing video games, which he started when he was very young. He usually plays them for a bit to let off some steam from the day or to just wind down and relax before getting ready to go to work the next day. There’s no real major reason as to why Kye plays video games besides that, but he just enjoys having something to do other than get people “gift wrapped” as he says, for suits. 

His second hobby would be going on walks before and/or after work most days, which was inspired partly because he saw how walking had helped me lose weight and feel better about myself, which is something that taking the same types of long walks, with headphones in his ears has done for him. He has said that overall, “I’ve been so much happier without having to worry about High School”, which definitely has shown in this interview. 

Kye doesn’t have many other hobbies as the only other one he gave in the interview was sleeping, which he likes to do after a long day if he decides walking or playing a game isn’t the direction that he’d want to go in for the day.

Overall, the interview and day that I spent talking to Kye and reaching out to him for this interview was a lot of fun. I had told him that I wanted to speak to him specifically to show that despite being a dropout, there’s nothing wrong with that should one have a plan for their future ahead of them. Kye has so much more to his story that wasn’t told, and has such a bright future ahead of him. I hope that he, along with other people from CHS who do not plan to pursue a college education, have a plan and are ready for what the future holds, and I wish all seniors, Kye included, the best of luck in their lives after High School.