Wishing Joy With Seasonal Greetings

Alexander Walters, Writer

We’ve all heard the annual debate over which phrase is the true phrase to use to wish joy upon others. Whether it be “Merry Christmas”, “Happy Holidays”, or some other phrase, what phrase does Generation Z prefer to use?

A poll was conducted in the Capital High School’s students, asking what seasonal greeting they use most and then again asking which they preferred most among 10 different answers available; Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa, Yuletide Greetings, Happy Holidays, Feliz Navidad, Seasons Greetings, Happy New Year, Enjoy the Holiday Season and Warmest Wishes. 

With a total of 14 responses, it was consistently close between Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas, up until the poll was closed, concluding Happy Holidays as the most used and  the most preferred. Merry Christmas came up as a very close second for most used, only off by one vote. The two runner ups for preferred were Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad as they both came up with three votes, while there were also three votes for no preference.

Facebook posts have begun rolling onto news feeds, discussing how it is “Merry Christmas” and “Happy Holidays” alike, sparking conversations and even arguments in the comment sections. Of course, depending on what pages a person follows are what types of posts will appear on your chosen social media, but those who follow a diverse group of people may be seeing the whole argument. 

What does this mean? It means that there is an extremely close preference and usage of both Happy Holidays, although Happy Holidays is now “taking the cake” as some may say.

Does this conclude the annual debate over Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas? Of course not. Continue wishing others joy and happiness in whatever way you see fit. No matter what you may celebrate, if anything, have a wonderful holiday season and take care of yourself. In a pandemic driven society, we as people need to be kinder to one another and take care of ourselves.