Intriguing Person Story

Dottie Coleman, Photographer

Dottie Coleman

6/10/21

Intriguing Person Essay

Laurin Ogg has always been in love with animals and held onto the dream of becoming a veterinarian ever since preschool. All throughout her school and working career, she has held these goals very close to her heart.

Laurin grew up in Hoodsport, Washington with her younger brother and sister. Despite being so far out, she attended Griffin Elementary and Middle School ever since kindergarten and stayed all the way to the eighth grade. From there, she has been a Capital student and is aiming to attend community college in the fall. All through her school career, Laurin’s taken an interest in animals. 

Ever since she was a little kid, Laurin has always voiced an interest in animal care. Growing up with horses and other farm animals, it’s quite hard not to. Even now, she still takes care of her two horses; Noel and Pie. She loves taking care of them because it’s something that she’s always had care and a knack for. 

It’s very hard to find challenges in a field someone has loved for years. Keeping a love for caring about animals is quite easy and comes as a second instinct to Laurin. Though a small roadblock that has caught her astray is the lack of classes that high school has had to offer her. Although some are helpful in getting the building blocks, earning more headway is something she has to look forward to in college.

That’s exactly what Laurin is going to do. With sights already aimed for the future: attending SPSCC for two years before heading out to WSU to learn how to become a veterinarian through veterinary medicine. There, she hopes to major in classes such as pre-vet, animal health, and one more that she regretfully couldn’t remember the name of. 

Laurin’s plans don’t stop after college either. Once she’s ready, she expresses that she wants to travel to Eastern Washington and live there. There’s tons of beautiful farmland and no one can blame her for wanting to go there. It’s horse country after all.

At least she won’t be as far away as she was a few years ago when she and her family went on a trip to Africa. Although not sharing much about the trip, she recalled with a smile that if given the chance, she’d give it another visit. Looks like the beautiful scenery of Eastern Washington will hopefully be as nice as Africa’s for her.

Laurin has already received experience under her belt when it came to working as a veterinarian.  Throughout highschool, she has been working at the Griffin Wood stables where she’s taken care of horses. A few years ago over the summer, she job shadowed at a veterinary clinic. It’s easy to catch how fondly she recalled the job, claiming it to be very fun. Though once college comes into play, she’ll sadly have to quit her job to focus on her studies. The barn will certainly miss her. 

She will have animals to miss as well. Though still able to visit them, Laurin has her own set of fluffy friends that have helped her with her dream of becoming a vet. Setting aside Noel and Pie, her two horses, for being some of the biggest influences, she also has two cute dogs that are there for her when the homework gets too hard, Tick and Huck. The two german shorthairs are nothing short of being her best friends.

Those aren’t the only animals she’s owned. A few years ago up until now, Laurin’s had a variety of pets from rabbits to chickens and from silly goat kids to calves. She says with a grin that they have been really helpful with her wanting to become a vet, given how hard it is to bottle-feed baby cows and goats that bounce off of the walls. Goats have always been fun, they do the funniest things. 

Laurin Ogg definitely has a set future planned out for herself and has kept a clear vision for what she wants to do with her life. It’s very rare to see someone have the same goal in mind for so many years and never grow tired of it. It’ll be very fun to see how she goes from here on out with her studies and job.

Laurin Ogg and her horse Noel.
Laurin Ogg and her horse, Noel.