Girls Basketball Coach Hired

Maddi McElroy, Editor

Recently, Joe DeBruyne was hired as the Capital girls basketball coach. He currently teaches history at Capital High School. He has been involved with basketball his entire teaching career. He has spent time assistant coaching at St. Martin’s University in 2005 and with South Sound Community College for six seasons.

Mark Mansfield, the Junior Varsity girls basketball coach said, “He’s passionate about basketball and passionate about Capital girls being successful.“ He talked about DeBruyne having a good relationship with the girls which allows him to help them build their skills so they can be successful. Due to his vast experience, he’s dedicated to what he does which helps him to have fun and work hard with his players. Mansfield says he’s looking forward to working with DeBruyne because he’s open to suggestions and has a great deal of knowledge on coaching.

Steve Bellande, the Athletic Director says, “His personality certainly plays a huge role and his caring for kids.“ When asked about DeBruyne’s qualifications for the position, he continued to say that DeBruyne being a teacher at Capital allows him to have prior knowledge of students and gives him some prior relationships with them. Bellande also notes that because of his experience with coaching basketball for many years he knows how to be successful and how not to. His personality and energy helps him connect with the athletes. Most importantly, his caring for athletes and students makes him want them to be successful in what they do.