Outlook

Call it what it is: a Muslim Ban

Back to Article
Back to Article

Call it what it is: a Muslim Ban

Don't believe Trump's executive order is a ban or that it is religiously based? Just look at his tweets!

(Outlook/Charlie Young)

(Outlook/Charlie Young)

(Outlook/Charlie Young)

Charlie Young, Editor-in-Chief

The views expressed in this piece are solely those of the author. The Outlook Newspaper encourages audience responses to be submitted to [email protected]

If we’ve learned one thing about the president throughout his campaign, it’s that he hate political correctness. So let’s throw the PC out and call his executive order by its real name, the #MuslimBan. After all, it’s what President Trump would want us to do.

Not a ban on Muslims, you say? Then why have only nations with Muslim majorities been banned (while minorities in these nations, specifically Christians, are being given preferential status)? Besides, your claim that he is blocking terrorists from entering the country is simply factually incorrect. Of the 19 terrorists who attack the US on 9/11, 15 were from Saudi Arabia, two were from the UAE, one from Egypt, and one from Lebanon. Funny how none of those countries are banned… maybe it is because of Trump’s business deals with three of those nations?

Furthermore, when looking at the threat to the American homeland, refugees pose an incredibly small one. Three and a quarter million refugees have been admitted into the United States in the past 40 years. Of those, a mere 20 have been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a terrorist attack on US soil. In the post 9/11 era alone, an American citizen is 253 times more likely to die from homicide than from a foreign terrorist.

As a reminder, only three Americans have been killed on US soil by terrorist refugees in the last four decades, all of them killed by Cubans – why aren’t Cuban refugees banned? Could it be because they aren’t Muslim?

Charlie Young, Editor-in-Chief

Charlie Young is currently a senior at Capital High School working his way through the IB Diploma Programme. This is Charlie's third year on the Outlook...