Big Pride

Autumn Jackson

Cougar mascot with American flag

Shasta Hecht, Writer

In this day and age, we as American people take the idea of patriotism very seriously. The pride that we have in our country is reflected almost everywhere.

From flags in every school classroom to the pledge of allegiance that every student is expected to recite. The question is, where do the roots of our patriotism start, and why do people take it so seriously?

In America’s history, the point in which patriotism was most prominent was throughout the 1900s when classic songs were routinely sung in schools, churches, and sporting events.

As time has progressed, patriotism in these forms has rapidly decreased, however it is spread out around the country in different ways. The frequency of these ways sometimes seem to be forgotten because as humans we become numb to the things that we see everyday.

This is the very reason that it is so controversial. People  absorb information around them and interpret it in countless different ways to support their beliefs. For some reason, we take patriotism to the highest level we can, and when someone starts to question us, we feel the need to immediately jump to the defense. It’s a part of everyday life that seems to be getting more attention in the media.

The statements that have been released by president Donald Trump repeatedly take a punch at how we define patriotism, igniting a fire of disagreement among the American people. This idea of patriotism has been blown up to huge proportions over time, stemming from the very first taste of freedom common people received during the Renaissance.