The student news site of Capital High School

Outlook

One Direction Solo Careers

Source%3A+Billboard
Source: Billboard

Source: Billboard

Source: Billboard

Brooke Turner, Writer

One Direction is a band loved by many, but when they officially went on hiatus in March, many hearts broke. It’s been a year since then, and the hiatus was supposed to be 18 months long, as they confirmed. In the midst of this hiatus, a majority of the members appear to be taking on a solo careers.

Zayn Malik was the first to leave One Direction, however it was before the boys officially began their break. Malik’s first single, released in January of 2016, was titled Pillowtalk, while his album is titled Mind of Mine. Pillowtalk reached No. 1 on Hot 100 which proves his success as a solo artist, but dating the model Gigi Hadid has definitely helped his career due to her popularity.

Harry Styles came out with his first single titled Sign of the Times on April 7, 2017, which earned over 15 million views in just five days. On April 13, Styles posted a picture with ten song titles, and his caption held the date of May 12, 2017. It’s more than likely about his album coming up. The style of the music is supposedly a mix of David Bowie and Queen, which is quite different than what we’re used to from One Direction’s sound. He is also going to be in Dunkirk, having taken up acting.

Niall Horan’s debut single, titled This Town, has been played regularly on the radio and has  reached No. 25 in the U.S., while it was in the top 10 in the U.K., Australia, and Ireland. He is currently planning on releasing an album but there is no set release date.

Liam Payne is also working on a new solo album. He hasn’t released any new music yet, like Harry Styles, but he is working on it. There have been a few teasers for a new song. Payne has been focusing on his personal life, getting into a relationship with Cheryl, a popular singer, dancer, and television personality. The two have recently had a baby, also.

Louis Tomlinson has claimed that he’s going to be releasing some music on his own, but there hasn’t really been much information on it. Instead, he has welcomed a baby into his life with a close friend, Briana Jungwirth. Recently, videos have surfaced of Tomlinson fighting with paparazzi and a fan at an airport. He apparently is not going to be charged.