Why to Celebrate Veterans Day

(Rumford Falls Times)

Veterans Day will be celebrated at Capital High School on November 10 at 9:40am. All veterans and families are invited to attend.

Rylee Fry, Writer

Veterans Day is about all of the people who have lost their lives, or parts of themselves that they can never get back. Veterans risk their mental health, physical condition, and their lives all together, and the least we can do as citizens is show that they are respected and admired.

Veterans Day hasn’t actually been “Veterans Day” for that long. Before it was Veterans Day, it was called Armistice Day. But, in 1954, President Eisenhower changed the name to Veterans Day, because “Armistice Day” was only for veterans that served in World War I. This holiday has also been moved around quite a bit, and the date of the holiday has changed frequently, but now falls on November 11th. Other countries, like Canada, Australia, Britain and France also celebrate their veterans on or near November 11th.

Why is it important to celebrate Veterans Day? It’s important because of the courageous efforts our veterans put out for us. They risk their lives for our sake as a country.  Angel Elam thinks, “It’s really important that we let our veterans know that they are loved and appreciated.” Veterans show love and heroism for our country and support us through making our country a better place.

Celebrating Veterans Day is also crucial for citizens who are not in the military because we still need to show how much we appreciate the people who sacrifice themselves for our country. Society all together though, does a better job at showing honor for our veterans than it used to. Many schools have assemblies about Veterans day and it’s significance. Capital High School is having an assembly on November 10th, and it’s being run by Charlie Young. Capital is having at least one person attending the assembly per military branch.

Veterans are people much more than all of the parades and a day off from school. They are  people who have a truly vital part in our community. They simply don’t get recognized enough, and we don’t even provide most of the mental and physical care they need. “I want students to realize what veterans gave up for our country and to express their gratitude for what veterans have done for us.” ~Charlie Young