The Counseling Center; How to Work the System

Delanie Bernier, Writer

We all know that the counseling center has some crazy wait times, but for students in crisis, those wait times can be harmful. Knowing how to use the resources at CHS will allow you to get the help you need when you need it and not have to wait a long time.

A student in crisis means a student is having a pressing and current emotional problem. Any student can be in crisis at any given time, even if you don’t see visual signs of it.

If you have never self-referred to see your counselor for any reason before your senior year, you are rare. And, more worryingly, you may be missing some of the best help you can receive. It will be important to understand that even if you don’t make use of this resource, someone you know most certainly does.

The current policy for the counseling center is to put students who are in crisis whose counselor is busy in the conference room where they can be isolated. Counselor Joel Komschlies said a scenario in which a crisis occurs, and that student is intentionally placed in isolation, is extremely rare. 

School counselor Jenny Morgan said it is important to understand that it is possible to request a time out before you talk to someone. 

Students all individually have different responses to crisis. There is no one solution for all students. Many students need a moment alone to process. Some like to listen to music or color, and for some, journaling can help,” Morgan said.

As counselor Stephanie Benfield said, If you need you have to see someone and your counselor is out for the day, that does not mean no one is available, “It is very rare that there would be no counselors available to see a student and they will find someone available to meet with you,” said Benfield. 

The counseling center clarified the process they use when someone is out for the day. Komschlies said, “We put up signs on the door telling students when a councilor is gone for the day,” don’t let that scare you away. Benfield added, “If it is an emergency, come in and tell Ms. Weeks that it is an emergency.” 

Capital High School teacher Sheila Nelson, a behavioral social-emotional expert, explained how busy the system is, “The counseling center has a lot on their plate.” She went on to explain the level of help Capital High School receives, “A social worker comes to school once a week” but that “the district as a whole should look at the issue and how we can meet the needs of every individual student.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Until the system changes and it may take a while, you can use a multitude of resources available to students, the restorative center with Mr. Rose in E1 is available, Ms. Nelson in D7 is always happy to help, help hotlines or talking to a trusted adult.