Importance of leadership in High School

Importance of leadership in High School

Kaiden Brown

The definition of leadership states, “the action of leading a group of people or an organization.” But what does leadership mean in our school? 

Here at Capital High School, leadership is valued heavily. The students in the Leadership class, run by Angel Elam, have a lot of power across the school. 

Whether it’s planning assemblies, making posters, and even creating school spirit, these students do a lot. 

There are currently two leadership classes: beginning and advanced.  Their number one goal, explained by Elam, is “to build climate and culture in the school.” 

There are many reasons why leadership is important, not only in CHS. Leadership class allows students to take those skills beyond CHS walls and into the real world.

There are leaders all over the school as well, such as Aidan Johnson, the senior class president, who said “I have learned a lot of my leadership skills by being in leadership positions, honors society, and peer mentor programs”. He also mentioned that his biggest idol was “Theodore Roosevelt, because he was a man’s man. A frontier president, who was not scared to get his hands dirty he did it all.”

There are leaders all over the school that people may not even know about. Leadership is a very important skill but it is not for everyone. 

It’s not just certain kids who are leaders, they can be anyone. Look around next time you see an opportunity to recognize someone who is a leader, but doesn’t get much recognition for it. 

For kids who want to step up, join leadership class. Elam says “Jump in both feet, give it a try.” 

The leadership class here at Capital High school was described by Elam as “A poster making class, yes,but we do 

much more than just that. How else do you expect the hallways to look nice. They lso learn 21st century skills to perfect being a good, quality citizen, and to just build character using the eight essentials: patience, kindness, honesty, respect, forgiveness, humility, and commitment.” 

These characteristics are easy to talk about but require practice in order for them to become a part of one’s core guiding principles. 

There are so many opportunities to be a leader, it’s just about taking those opportunities.