Student Parking: Lower Lot and Construction

Ian Buck, Reporter

Construction of a new theatrical arts center at CHS leads to issues in their lower parking lot.

The lower parking lot is the new location for the theatrical arts center. As of right now, the lower lot is where they are keeping the materials used for the construction. They have also limited the exits in lot lot to one which creates congestion when leaving campus. 

Curtis Cleveringa, CHS Principal, clarifies about the number of parking available originally.

“Probably around 450 spots in total,” he said, about the space before the remodel began in the lower lot at the start of summer of 2019.

“I’m guessing that we’ve lost 17 spots,” he stated, when asked about the spots currently available on campus.

Cleveringa stated about the total gain on parking spots after the remodel, he stated,

“When the project is over we’ll be gaining between 30 and 40 spots.”

Connor Gatlin, CHS senior, when asked about the effects of the lot regarding his schedule says, 

“With the workers taking parking spots and cramming everything, it makes it difficult to get out of the lot and back home.”

When questioned about his thoughts on gaining around 30 spots vs. the original quality of the spaces, Gatlin remarked,

“You know, that’s sorta trolling. The parking lot was sorta scuff, but at least you could park there. Now if you’re late to school, you’re sorta screwed.”

Finally, regarding finding a spot for extra curricular activities, Gatlin said, 

“No, because I don’t do any extracurriculars. But, it definitely makes me get to school earlier.”

Proposed completion date for the remodel is by August 2020.