Chromebooks at Capital. Is this the Future?

Ivan Fryer, Reporter

Every single student at Capital received a school issued chromebook at the beginning of this year. At this point, we are familiar with the chromebooks at school however, some students and teachers at the school have mixed opinions about them that may be important to explore.

The school issued chromebooks in the first full week of school too every student at capital high school. They are a convenient commodity too the school the students have different opinions on them overall. 

One student, senior, Jeriah Rosenberger, when asked his general opinion about chromebooks at school said,

“I like them, they are pretty good, because you can take them with you, and they are very versatile.” 

However, when asked what some negative outcomes of the chromebooks are, he mentioned

it could be very distracting because not all websites are blocked, and like using your phone, it can be very distracting.”

Seniors have gone to this school without this technology, however, the freshman will go their entire high school career using them not knowing what it was like to be without.

When asked what Rosenberger thinks it will help, “the future grades below” he went on to say, 

“I think it will help by giving the younger grades a better way to help them with work and maybe, it will help students that don’t have wifi at home so it’s easier so they don’t have to worry about going to the library for work.”

Students are also allowed to take the chromebooks home. For some this can be very convenient because it gives students who may not have access otherwise. 

But this comes with its own risks of students misusing the technology. They may use the chromebook for class distractions or going on websites that don’t help with learning. It feels like the people have accepted the risk

The future of chromebooks for this school is interesting along with their relationship they have with the students and staff of the school. and something that we are experiencing in the current moment.

Word count 328