Chromebooks for Capital? What Comes Next?

Remy DeSaulniers, Author, Layout Editor

Capital High School, as of 2019-2020 and beyond, will be implementing the use of Chromebooks across all class years. 

The usage of Chromebooks at CHS recently has thrown upper-classmen, and some lower-classmen, into a new, and more restrictive form of education. Examples such as Hapara Highlights, this add-on allows the teacher to completely control the student’s usage, at any point 

How could this potentially affect this wave of children? For many, this feels like being thrown into an ocean with no clue of what to do. A sum of students has often voiced their disdain for being forced to take these Chromebooks home. But what are the upsides and downsides that can be taken from this new experience? Previously there were many schools in the OSD that used Chromebooks and were also dropped into this, and as of recently, CHS adopted this newer form of education. Just down the block at Jefferson Middle School, the students have been using Chromebooks for quite some time.

As of this year, Allison McFadden, Capital High School Teacher, has “been teaching at Capital for 37 years”.  This year she teaches two Financial Algebra classes, Espresso/Smoothie, Espresso/Smoothie Management, and Ingenuity: “A credit retrieval class.” 

McFadden was gracious enough to lend some words on the subject of the Chromebooks and said what students use in her classes. 

“Either their Chromebooks or the school computers,” said McFadden, meaning she allows for a much more tolerable teaching environment. Even though one of her classes is entirely tech-based, she allows students to work with whatever technology they are more comfortable with from previous years of learning or experience. It was beautiful to hear that a teacher allowed such leeway with their students. 

As of last year, McFadden used to teach Digital Design, as many know. Since then, however, the Digital Design class has been dropped from the available school electives list.

As some know, Capital has its very own ‘Tech Council’, that is responsible for putting their two cents in for how the School should invest in Technology. McFadden had some input on the council.   

“I’m not on the Tech Council but I do know that Hamilton is, and he might have better input than I could give you,” McFadden said. Following that, McFadden commented on the heads-up she was given about the Chromebooks

“….it was pretty vague. It was just a mass email, I think,” said McFadden. 

This means the district only sent a simple email to notify the staff of the coming change last year.

As a send-off for the interview, McFadden was willing to make some suggestions. 

“I would say that we should be even more inclusive with our technology decisions.” Hopefully, Capital will take this advice to heart and allow the door to technology to be slightly more ajar for their students.

What will the School District decide to do next for their students?