Politics in Education

AJ Peters, Page Editor

Politics and emotions have recently been tied together these past few years, either it’s in the recent election or just a debate. Politics have taken over the schools of America and I think we can all agree that it has to do with with current president in office Donald Trump, Phillyvoice backs up the point.

“The poll is one in a series called Youth Political Pulse that is asking people ages 15 to 34 — who, by the way, will all be able to vote by 2020 — about how their view of politics has changed.

Since President Trump’s election, respondents said they are questioning the media, paying attention to politics, having conversations about race and gender issues, and engaging in political activism.”. Does having politics in education damage the learning of students?

I say no, students are just looking for a better change and would like to improve this beautiful country.

Yes, every once and a while we get that hot head for politics or a “snowflake”, in other words, who may throw some off tracks. But besides that, us as students are wanting to look ahead in our future and our well being. All may not agree with each other and argue,  but that’s human nature.

Especially for teens, it’s all a learning lesson teaching us how to discuss opposite opinions rather than argue.

Some may argue that when politics are taught, teachers have the power to brainwash and skew opinions, and yes, that is very true, but as matured high school students, we should have already formed our own ideas and ethics so we can question our teachers, opening the minds of others.

Politics have recently became a touchy subject in the U.S. , yes some students may get their feelings hurt but we must learn how to agree to disagree and keep our cool about it.

Many argue that having politics in highschool isn’t smart due to our age and lack of life experience I agree but also have a solution, teach students about our government, how it works, the different types of government that did and didn’t work before getting into the politics and ethics.

It’s time the youth gets a little more respect and is no longer undermined, because we are the future leaders of this country, why wouldn’t you want you want a little head start on politics.

The youth can no longer stay in a close minded box, and we must be allowed to learn more and search for the truth. Depending onthe maturity level of the class, politics in education is something everyone should get an opportunity to learn.