More Than Just Rhymes

Kyle Parker, Reporter

It’s interesting to think about the factors that influence rap music. These factors should be the same as any musical genre, but because of it’s origin it’s very unique.

“Specifically teens are attracted to this controversial music style, categories such as financial struggle, and drug abuse are not even half of the categories covered by this controversial music genre.” From 

Rags to riches stories can be appealing at many developmental stages throughout rap music. “This generation of youth desire to break the rules and become one’s own person are condoned by rap music. Most of all, rap is enjoyed by teenagers because it brings people together an has since the 80’s,” wrote a music blogger from Ecojazz.

“For years upon end rap music has gave off many impressions. Rap music will affect teenage fans for better or worse. The negative effects will likely be reduced if the teenager also has other influences, such as actual struggle.

Take 21 Savage’s ‘No heart’ song for example where he talks about growing up in a neighborhood with guns and drugs, and that being a regular thing.

If everyone fully understands the intent of rap culture, the you might want to keep in mind it’s important to remember that rap music is supposed to make issues seem more familiar, not more acceptable, or to influence kids to do drugs that’s not at all what the artists want,” said Dayton Hodge, senior, familiar with 80s music.

It is also important to remember that if someone did not grow up in a lower socioeconomic class, many of the ideas and behaviors of rappers are influenced by factors that don’t apply to them.

Keep in mind that if we can encourage record companies to support rappers with more positive messages we can create a better judgement of the genre, and people would not look down on it as much.

Avery Parsons, senior, a Capital High School student, who is also an expert in music said,“It represents different feelings when it’s done by different people. It gives budding artists a new possible platform to perform and vent.” This statement was very meaningful especially since rap has not always been a favorite for much of the general population.

He thought we should change the way we look at rappers and/or rap music in general, “We need to stop glorifying drugs use so heavily and bring a more positive light into the genre.”

If not everyone would respect this answer because we don’t like seeing these bad things such as drug or weapon glorification.

Also sometimes glorifying these things we are giving a very wide perspective on what’s going on in the world, it can be good or bad depending on the way the others look at it.