Outlook

CHS Rehearsal for Murder

Back to Article
Back to Article

CHS Rehearsal for Murder

Stage for Rehearsal for Murder

Stage for Rehearsal for Murder

Autumn Jackson

Stage for Rehearsal for Murder

Autumn Jackson

Autumn Jackson

Stage for Rehearsal for Murder

Samantha Baker, Writer

The theater stage located right through the commons is a place where many events will take place over the year. The majority filled up with drama related activities and events. The first happening this school year “Rehearsal for Murder” is an adaptation of the 1982 teleplay. The opening night for the show is October 19th at 7:30pm on Capital High School’s stage.

The play adapted by D.D Brooke is a murder mystery murder with a cast size of fifteen. The show is sure to include audience reaction and plot tension throughout. Mrs. Cummin’s, Capital High School’s theather director, is looking forward to the dramatization, “I’m excited for opening night of course; of course the audience’s reaction will be great, hopefully they’ll find it suspenseful enough.”

Sam Derrick, senior, at Capital High School plays the lead role of Alex Dennison. You might recognize Derrick from playing Candy in“Mice and Men” from last year’s winter production. This is Derrick’s second show with Capital High School, and commented on his new role, “Alex is a new type of character from me, I’m excited and honored to be playing the lead role.” Alex Dennison is a playwright in New York city, a year had passed since he lost his fiance Monica Wells played by Phoenix Ever, junior, from an apparent suicide.     

Dennison brings together a “cast of characters” in hopes of revealing who done it. Derrick also helped stage manage last year’s spring musical “Grease.”

The major of play watchers don’t realize the technical aspect of theater. There are many activities that go into technical theater such as lighting, set, sound, props, costumes, box office, run crew, makeup and hair. These few technical aspects with crews that touched on as well there make up just a slight glimpse on what goes on behind the curtain. Not everyone is comfortable with performing for an audience, there are so many ways you can join the world of theater without acting. The Capital department is always in need for technical help so don’t be afraid to help out.

Jenna Cusack, senior, at Capital High School, is the stage manager for this show and has participated in sound design for the majority of her career with the Capital High School’s department, “This show has particularly complex sound and lighting design which is a great challenge for student leadership.”

Capital High School will be putting on “Rehearsal for Murder”, “Romeo and Juliet”, “Seussical the Musical” during the 2017-2018 school year. It premieres on October 19th, 20th, 21st, 26th, 27th and 28th at 7:30pm. The cost is $8 for students and senior citizens and $10 for general admission. You can find more information on the theater page on the CHS website under the extra curricular tab or call the box office at