Outlook

New Providence Community Care Center

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Providence Community Care Center

Location of new Providence Care Center
Source:  Steve Bloom sbloom@theolympian.

Location of new Providence Care Center Source: Steve Bloom [email protected]

Andy Hobbs

Andy Hobbs

Andy Hobbs

Edith Abbenhaus, Writer

At the Providence Community Care Center the fence surrounding stands about six feet tall offering some privacy to the individuals that come and go. Across from the transit station and occupying the former Bayside Quilting residence.

The Providence Community Care Center is only a month in. But having signed a “10 year lease on the building” said Angela Maki the Director of Communication, and External Affairs. The Providence Community Care Center started at the end of summer, beginning of Fall.

Only being a month in it already has made an impact. The Providence Community Care center does not only consist of primarily Providence, it has five partners; Interfaith Works, Sidewalk, Olympia Free Clinic, Behavioral Health Resources, Sea Mar Community Health Centers.

The Providence Community Care Center is equipped with “sinks, showers, laundry services and several bathrooms. It also will have a welcome desk, a day room, a coffee bar, consultation rooms and exam rooms. However, it will not be an overnight shelter.” Wrote the Olympian, before the center was planned to open.

The medical treatment at the Providence Community Care Center consists mostly of “just primary care and some minor wound treatment” stated Angela Maki Director of Communications and External Affairs.

Besides just primary care the Community Care Center can provide a “referral to other services as necessary” said Angela Maki. Ultimately showing that this care facility doesn’t just treat medical, but it helps provide other medical services as necessary.

But not only is the centers sole focus on medical care it also branches out to helping homeless and those in need with further job opportunities, and education.

The effect that the Community Care Center appears to be having on the community is positive.

But before the Center opened The Olympian interviewed Dave Platt of The Mailbox who stated that “Because they (the homeless) are not coming from downtown, but it has become downtown’s problem.” Meaning that not only are the homeless population coming from the downtown area but from all around, this concern suggests that the center may be bringing more homeless to the downtown area.

Although that may be true the Care Center is able to “see over 200 homeless individuals daily.” and “providing mental health services, substance abuse services, housing assistance and more!” Stated Angela Maki.

That number alone shows that even if more homeless are coming to the downtown area, there is a place to provide them with their basic needs, and help them work towards getting back into society, in a productive way.