Capital Marching Band Outlook

Wikimedia Commons

A marching band performing at halftime of a football game.

Jaime Wiedemeier, Writer

The 2017 Capital Marching Band is excited about their current season. With football games underway the band performs at halftime at home games. But how big of an effect does the Marching Band actually have at the football games on student section and the spectators?

Marching band is known for helping the student section be loud and get more into the games. Freshmen, Garrett Rivera, in the marching band says, “The attitude at the games would be different without the band, I feel like it would be quieter,” the band has to watch the football games in order to perform at halftime and play songs during the game. Elizabeth Cohen, freshmen, in marching band says, “It’s fun to be at the games, to show team spirit now that we’re in high school. Some of the kids in band don’t really pay a lot of attention to the game and only watch when they need to because they don’t understand football and neither do I.”

The kids in marching band have different opinions on whether or not they get the attention they feel they deserve. Garrett says, “The marching band gets enough attention, we provide great entertainment and we like love the vibe from student section.” Meanwhile, Elizabeth says, “No, I feel like the band doesn’t get the credit it deserves, we put in more work than people realize. Student section will pay attention to us every now and then for cheers or dances but that’s about it, and the spectators don’t really notice us and view us as a loud sound during a football game.” There has been a decline in marching bands across all high schools. Many schools are getting rid of their bands because they have a sound system where they will just play music from the radio, or there are football announcers that will speak over the band which will have the band play louder competing for attention.

Meanwhile, the football players don’t notice the band until the game is over. After the game the players come over to the stands and plays the fight song with the band, as a long going tradition. Which is understandable because they are playing a game. They do notice the amount of work they do put in to perform at halftime, and to play during the game. Both sides play their hearts out on the same night, but different ways.