Co-Teaching by Joling and Street in 2017

Doctor Strangelove and Trump

Doctor Strangelove and Trump

Rylee Fry, Writer

Ken Joling, CHS history teacher, and Aaron Street, CHS English teacher will be co-teaching a history and English course next year focusing on analysis of current events and determining “how we got here.”

“What a unique opportunity. We have a few titles for the course but for right now, the working title is ‘Our New Reality is not Fake,”’ Joling said.

“We will begin by analyzing this satirical

piece,  Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, that has now been relabeled as historically relevant in its foreshadowing accuracy. However, that’s Street’s lecture. My lecture will begin a bit further back in time.”

Aaron Street concurred, “Just looking at the dialogue from the film will let you know this film is not satire but a documentary.”

“Perhaps, it might be better, Mr. President, if you were more concerned with the American people than with your image in the history books.,” quothe Dr. Strangelove.

The state agreed due to recent events, “this film piece is now required for high school students to watch the film Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.”

Joling will trace the documentary’s parallels between other countries’ downfalls in history to present day. “I invision a detailed Venn Diagram between the United States on one side and the rest of the world on the other…with not a whole lot of information on the sides, but the entire unit being taught from where the two circles overlap.”

Street is eager to analyze the connections between this satricial film turned reality, “Now that our reality is blending seamlessly into satire, this film will reinforce the consequences of what happens when we take democracy for granted, and, at the least, treat human rights issues and town hall meetings like abstract concepts that we have the privilege to ignore,” he said, while returning Animal Farm to the library.

To briefly recap, the film, made in 1964, reflects our current government. An insane general instigates a path to a nuclear holocaust, while politicians and other generals try to prevent it. Sound familiar? “Women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature,” is from, surprisingly, Dr. Strangelove.

“You know it doesn’t really matter what [the media] writes as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass,” was, not surprisingly, said by, Trump, from Esquire 1991 (sadly, not fake news). Not only is there the comparison of the sexiest remarks but, there is also political aspects of the movie that tie to current events.

Doctor Strangelove prepares us for our future,  within the next four years. It shows that even with a delirious man running our country, we won’t have the stress of not knowing what will happen. “I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids,” General Jack Ripper said in the film.

Today, the Communists in this film would coincide with the controversy over Russian policy with how closely Trump is in Russian oil company pockets. Except, they’re his own pockets since Trump owns stock in Russian oil companies that he refuses to divest from. Students can register for this course in May. Youtube videos will be made available over summer so students can get an early start.