Outlook

Is Life Just Alien Again?

The Poster for the movie Life.

The Poster for the movie Life.

Source: IMDB

Source: IMDB

The Poster for the movie Life.

Asher Noriega, Writer

On March 24, 2017, the movie Life released to the general audience, only a few months before the film Alien: Covenant releases. Because of Life’s close parallels with the long running, popular film franchise, it has many movie attendees and critics alike are wondering how original it will be. The sci fi film follows a group of astronauts who discover dormant alien life on Mars. The crew interact with the alien life before it quickly grows larger and more aggressive towards them. As a horror film set in an isolated space ship that pits the crew against an extraterrestrial enemy, it can be hard not to draw comparisons to the 1979 film and science fiction classic, Alien. Because the two movies premises are so similar it is important for a movie rehashing the same story to bring something new and fresh to it.

The movie Life takes place close to our current time and seems to follow some actual real science, which is a leap from the total science fiction of androids and computers that can fit on your desk. Perhaps part of the scare factor of Life is that the situation is somewhat possible in real life, which is a point not often touched on by the campy horror movies of the 70’s and 80’s. As far as horror movies go Life is being reviewed as a bit above average, and more than a few sources predict the movie to be forgotten soon, much like Ryan Reynolds other film, Green Lantern. Some reviewers are defending the film, such as Business Insider, who claims that the movie brings enough new to the table to warrant its own film and perhaps, they claim, even become a cult classic. Whether their prediction holds true remains to be seen. So far, the film has grossed $63,000,000 worldwide at the box office and is currently playing at Century Olympia and Regal Martin Village.