Hints of inclement weather creates trouble for our time management

Weather Apps impact time management.

Weather Apps impact time management.

Brooke Turner and Rylee Fry

Snow days and late starts are the days that many look forward to. Students stay up late anyways so, what do they do when there’s a hint of no school or a late start? Play time. Even teachers are not excused from misusing time just because they think they are going to get more sleep.

What do administrators do on the nights before snow days? Capital High School Principal, Curtis Cleveringa said that he binge-watched Netflix.  Security Guard Chris Johnson said, “I stayed up past my bedtime.” Even adults are wanting more time to relax.

Students also mismanaged their time so as to regret their regular start time. Waking up and realizing that it was just another normal day, many embraced huge disappointment. Staying up the night before, whether working on homework, or maybe doing what Cleveringa did, binge-watching Netflix, remind us all that we crave more personal time. Senior, Angus Baton, was one of the students who stayed up late working on homework, thinking that maybe he would get to sleep off those extra hours the next day.

Obviously students and staff alike crave time for fun and just before finals makes this difficult. What can help fuel our poor decisions, during this time, is our access to technology and information without the degree to interpret our information. The weather has a huge impact on the thought process of someone who has too much to do and too little time. These weather apps don’t help.

You probably get notifications saying it is going to snow within the next hour or it will be icy outside, distracting us from being productive. These weather apps give provide false hope during a stressful time. Hinting that more time is just around the corner, the following day. Weather apps change by the hour, especially in the Pacific Northwest, so if you check your app the night before, or hourly, and it says there will be snow, it’ll probably be rain. Advice? As hard as it is, stay focused on priorities and get more sleep.